A Waycross man was injured Monday when his vehicle struck the rear of a tractor trailer on the Valdosta Highway as the rig was stopping for traffic ahead, said Ware County Sheriff Randy Royal.
Frank R. Dominy, 40, of Cameron Lane, Waycross, was treated on the scene of the 5:47 a.m. collision and then transported to the emergency room at Mayo Clinic Health System in Waycross for further uation and treatment of neck and other injuries, said Royal.
It was one of two injury-related traffic accidents reported in the area Monday.
Driving a 2002 GMC Yukon, Dominy was westbound on the Valdosta Highway near Oregon Avenue when he looked down to pick up a can of tobacco. Royal said when he looked up, he saw a 1995 Freightliner in front of him stopping.
Lamar White, 45, of Glennville, the driver of the rig, was stopping for traffic ahead of him, Royal said. Dominy took evasive action in an attempt to avoid hitting the trailer but was unable to avoid the collision, said Royal. He applied his brakes, causing the vehicle to go into a skid while he attempted to maneuver left. The sport utility vehicle struck the rear of the trailer causing extensive damage to the SUV, Royal said.
Ware County EMTs also checked White, who complained of pain, but he declined transport to the hospital, the sheriff said.
Deputy Ethan Murray investigated the accident.
Meanwhile, the driver of a loaded log truck was only slightly injured Monday when his rig ran off the road and overturned on Georgia 122 about three miles inside Ware County, said the Georgia State Patrol.
Chevi Middleton, 22, of Hoboken, was checked by Ware County Emergency Medical Service personnel but was not taken to a facility for treatment, said Amanda Dixon, GSP Waycross post secretary.
Operating a 2005 International loaded with long logs, Middleton was eastbound when the rig ran off the shoulder of the road and overturned, spilling its load.
Ware County Fire Department personnel responded to the scene following the 3:22 p.m. dispatch to assist with the wreck. Volunteer Emory Boyd and Capt. Matthew Grantham responded to the call.
No other vehicles were involved.
Trooper Sherman McClain was in charge of the accident investigation.