Smoke emanating from a large air conditioner set off fire alarms downtown this morning at the Jones Company Building (the old Phoenix Hotel) prompting a response from the Waycross Fire Department, but no damage was caused to the building, according to a fire department spokesman.
At about 6:55 a.m., the fire department was alerted and firefighters responded to the scene.
Battalion Chief Jim Blackburn, who was in charge of the fire units, said no one was allowed inside the building until fire department personnel could ensure that it was safe.
“A relay on an air conditioner motor melted and it created enough smoke to set off the alarm,” said Blackburn. “There was no fire, just smoke from the air handler.”
The building, located at the corner of Pendleton and Elizabeth streets, was inspected for damage and fire department personnel eventually allowed Jones Company employees inside as they were leaving the scene at about 9 a.m.
Blackburn said the investigation was routine and largely uneventful. He said nobody was injured.