A man installing electrics during the construction of a building at 1803 Knight Ave. was severely burned when he made contact with a live electrical wire near a panel box, said Waycross Fire Chief David Eddins.
Sammy Sweat, 48, was cared for by Ware County Emergency Medical Service technicians and then placed onboard a helicopter to be transported to the Augusta Burn Unit, said Eddins.
He did not have an update on his condition this morning.
Waycross Fire Department personnel were dispatched to the building at 7:09 p.m.
“He was pulling electrical wiring and at some point something became energized,” said Eddins. “It was around some high voltage panel boxes. He has burns on his arms and his clothing was damaged.”
Eddins said Sweat, who was working with an electrical company at the store being prepared for Harbor Freight, was alert and talking with fire department personnel before being taken away.
“Because this is a commercial incident, we also had to notify OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) and they will do an investigation,” said Eddins.
A panel box was also damaged and Georgia Power was contacted to cut off the source of power at the building, Eddins said.
Battalion Chief Jim Blackburn was in charge of the fire department response. Personnel cleared the area at 9:36 p.m.