A Ware County family lost every thing they had Monday after a raging fire started inside their home and swept through, destroying the entire structure and all of the personal items inside, said Ware County Fire Capt. Joe McPhaul.
“Thankfully, he said, nobody was injured. They were awakened by a smoke alarm and everyone got out. At first, one of their children was still inside and they ran back in to get him but he is OK,” said McPhaul. “EMS took him to the hospital to be checked out but he is fine.”
Ware County Fire Stations I and III were dispatched to 4490 Swamp Road, near Swamp Road Baptist Church, at 1:35 a.m. Monday and were on the scene for more than eight hours. The first firefighters arrived at 1:43 a.m.
Swamp Road Baptist Church owns the home, said McPhaul, and the Stanley Chancey family was living there (including two children).
“The place is a total loss,” said McPhaul, who did not have a cause for the fire as yet. “It is under investigation.”
McPhaul said no monetary value had been placed on the structure Monday. It was originally a single wide mobile home that had been renovated and extended with additions and a large carport. The entire structure was then wrapped in cypress and had a metal roof.
McPhaul said assisting firefighters were Ware County Sheriff’s Department personnel, Ware County EMS, volunteer Tommy Tapley, power companies and the Ware County Road Department.
“Because of a structure collapse, we had to call the road department to bring us some heavy equipment,” said McPhaul. “We had to use that to move some stuff around to get the fire extinguished.”
Firefighters returned to their stations at 8:19 a.m.