The cause of a fire that destroyed a home on North River Road this morning has not been determined, Ware County Fire Department personnel said after they completed a several-hour fire suppression effort there.
Firefighters were summoned to 4435 North River Road at 2:50 a.m. When they arrived, the house, an older type site-built structure, was completely involved in flames, said Lt. Santo Nino.
“Apparently, it appears the house was abandoned,” said Nino. “The cause is undetermined.”
The house was valued at $150,000 with contents of $3,000 inside the house, according to Nino. The owner is listed as James Sears.
Meanwhile, a fire that caused a great deal of damage to a storage building owned by First United Methodist Church early today is being looked at as arson, said Waycross Fire Chief David Eddins.
Waycross Fire Department personnel were dispatched to the building at 417 Williams St. at 12:10 a.m. Eddins said the building was used to store chairs, couches and various other items. Damage at the present time is estimated at in excess of $25,000.
Nobody was on the scene of the North River Road fire when the county’s firefighters arrived at the house. Nobody was injured in the firefighting effort, said Nino.
Engaged in the firefight were Station I personnel Andrew McGhin, Jim Durrance and Jason White, as well as volunteers from the Southeast District Station III and members of the Georgia Department of Corrections fire crew.
Fire personnel had cleared the scene and returned to their stations as of just before 7 a.m.
The city firefighters are hoping for clues from the public with regard to the church storage building fire, said Eddins.
Anyone with information on how the fire started is eligible for a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the persons responsible. Eddins asked anyone who knows anything to call the Georgia Arson Control Hotline at 1-800-282-5804 or call Waycross Fire Department at 287-2938.
No one was injured in the fire, Eddins said.
Firefighters spent several hours on the scene working to make sure the fire did not re-ignite.
Battalion Chief Donnie Griffis was in charge of the fire units.