A resident on Alpha Street was taken by ambulance to Mayo Clinic Health System in Waycross Tuesday night for treatment of smoke inhalation after a bedroom in her house caught fire, said Waycross Fire Chief David Eddins.
Akelah Martin, age unavailable, was taken by ambulance to the ER, Eddins said. He did not have an update on her this morning.
Meanwhile, another female was affected by smoke inhalation Wednesday after a fire broke out in an kitchen at the Peachwood Apartments, 801 Naomi St., Eddins said.
Makesha Farmer, age unavailable, was the victim in the Wednesday fire. She was taken by ambulance to the emergency room for treatment of smoke inhalation, Eddins said.
“And I do not have an update on her either,” Eddins said.
The Wednesday night fire ignited from food left unattended on a stove, Eddins said, causing $2,000 in damages.
Firefighters were dispatched at 9:27 p.m. and had the fire under control by 9:32 p.m. The last unit cleared the scene at 9:59 p.m.
Battalion Chief Jim Blackburn was in charge of the fire suppression effort.
Waycross firefighters were dispatched to the house at 1034 Alpha St. at 9:36 p.m. Tuesday, Eddins said. He said the structure fire started in a bedroom, possibly from an electrical source.
“The occupant said she saw fire coming out of an outlet at a bed,” said Eddins.
Battalion Chief Jim Brown was in charge of the fire suppression effort. The fire was brought under control at 10:07 p.m. They cleared the scene at 11:30 p.m.
“Nobody fighting the fire was hurt,” said Eddins.
Property loss was estimated at $13,000.