A Waycross man was slightly injured early Saturday morning when an electric blanket sparked a fire that destroyed a mobile home, said Waycross Fire Chief David Eddins.
David Corbitt, who resides at 1802 Rhoda St., near Washington Avenue, had minor burns on one of his hands, said Eddins. He was examined at the scene by Ware County Emergency Medical Service technicians but was not transported for treatment, Eddins said.
Waycross Fire Department personnel were dispatched to the fire at 12:53 a.m. Saturday. Eddins said the home was a total loss and damage was listed as heavy, about $15,000.
“Mr. Corbitt said he woke up and the electric blanket was on fire,” said Eddins. “He got out but there was very heavy damage to the structure.”
Battalion Chief Jimmy Brown was in charge of the fire units. The last unit cleared the scene at 3:18 a.m.
Eddins said the Red Cross was contacted to assist the victim.