A woman who resides in a house at the corner of Pendergast and Gilmore streets was overcome by emotion Tuesday as she arrived home to find firefighters and EMTs at her home in response to a fire inside the dwelling. Waycross Fire Department emergency medical service technicians and Waycross Fire Department personnel rushed to her side as she fell to the ground in a faint. Waycross firefighters were dispatched to the house, 309 Pendergast St., at 10:17 a.m. Fire Chief David Eddins said that at some point, someone was ironing clothes and, completing the task, they left the iron unplugged, but they set it against a clipboard on a bed. Eddins said the hot iron caused the bedding to catch fire. Damage was estimated at $6,000. Nobody was home at the time of the fire. The Red Cross responded to help occupants of the damaged house find a place to stay for a few days. Battalion Chief Jim Blackburn was in charge of the fire units that responded. The last unit cleared the scene at 11:30 a.m. Firefighter Tomas Heard (left) removes his firefighting gear after walking out of the house. Chaplain Steve Lovett (second from left) watches as EMTs from a private ambulance company render aid to the woman.

Share This